Strep throat is an infection in the throat and tonsils caused by a bacteria called Streptococcal (Strep) bacteria. It has common symptoms like sudden and severe sore throat, difficulty and pain in swallowing, mild fever, swollen tonsils and lymph nodes and white or yellow spots on the back of a bright red throat. It usually occurs in winter and is very contagious!
Home Remedies for Strep Throat:
These home remedies are cheap and easy to make with effective results.
1. Sage, Salt and Lemon Concoction
Sage will slow down the growth of bacteria, salt reduces the irritation and lemon soothes your throat.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt, juice from half lemon and ½ cup of sage tea.
- Stir well and use this to gargle.
- Gargle at least three times a day to keep the bacteria away and alleviate the pain.
Chamomile tea is one of the best remedies for strep throat as it contains analgesic properties which give fast relief from throat pain, headaches, sore throat, etc.
- Boil a cup of water and add dried chamomile.
- Steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain it in a cup and drink at least 5-6 times a day.
3. Salt Water Gargling
This is one of the oldest remedies which helps to fight against the bacteria and reduces the throat inflammation and pain.
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt and a pinch of baking soda to a glass of warm water.
- Mix it well.
- Gargle as many times as possible.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has anti inflammatory property which helps to cure the strep throat.
- Mix 3 teaspoons of ACV in 8 oz warm water
- Use this liquid to gargle.
- Repeatedly 4-5 times a day.
- Mix ¼ cup of raw organic ACV in 16 oz of water.
- Sip it slowly throughout the day.
- Results will show slowly but will be effective.
5. Herbal Tea
Apple cider vinegar acts as anti inflammatory, honey will soothe the throat, lemon has vitamin C which galvanizes your body’s antibiotics to fight against the bacteria.
- 1 teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- A cup of hot water
- Stir all the ingredients together.
- Drink this as an herbal tea up to 4 times a day.
- Or you can also try another herbal tea with thyme and fennel seeds, or Black tea.
Onions are natural antiseptic and antibacterial.
- Grate onions and chew them.
- If this is too spicy then make juice with onions and add little water.
- Gargle with that several times a day to get rid of strep throat.
7. Garlic and Cinnamon
Garlic and cinnamon have antiseptic properties which kills the bacteria that causes strep throat.
- Add1 teaspoon of grated ginger, pinch of cayenne pepper and 1/4th teaspoon of cinnamon to a cup of warm water.
- Drink this regularly.
- Or you can use onion in the place of garlic and use it the same way.
Amla strengthens the immune system and it is full of vitamin C which helps to keep away infections.
- Grate amla and soak it in a cup of warm water.
- Let it sit for 5 -6 minutes.
- Drink this solution without straining it.
It contains vitamin C to boost your immune system and helps in soothing the irritated throat. It also helps to alleviate the pain quickly.
- Squeeze the juice from one lemon and add to a glass of war water.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of honey and drink 3 times a day.
- Drink daily until you get relief.
10. Black Pepper and Cloves
Both will help in the treatment of strep throat by eradicating the bacteria which causes the infection.
- Boil 5 cups of water in a pan and add 5 cloves and ½ teaspoon of black pepper corns.
- Mix it well and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add a lump sugar.
- Steep for 10 minutes before straining.
- Drink it slowly to get instant relief.
This has antibacterial, anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties which helps to cure strep throat.
- Cut 4-5 fresh tulsi leaves into small pieces.
- Boil a cup of water and add the leaves for a few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Sip slowly, chewing the leaves.
- Drink this tea at least 4-5 times a day.
12. Honey and Walnuts
Honey is a natural healing agent and soothes your throat by moisturizing it. Walnuts help to remove the ticklish feeling of your throat.
- Make a strew out of walnut husk and honey.
- Leave it for few minutes
- Strain the solution to consume.
Garlic has anti inflammatory and antibiotic properties which help to reduce and prevent the strep throat. Take garlic either in the form of raw or cooked in your diet, or simply chew a clove of garlic. You can also take it in the form of capsules.
Sage helps to reduce the inflammation and protects the soft tissues of the throat and respiratory system. Prepare tea by boiling sage leaves in water for few minutes. You can use this tea either to gargle or to drink at least 3-4 times a day. You can take this sage either in tincture or capsule form. Take the advice of doctor before taking it as per the prescription provided on the packet or from the doctor.
Yogurt antiseptic property treats the strep throat. It also contains probiotics for replenishing good bacteria and helps your immune system to function well. To get best results, eat thick yogurt and allow it to stay on your throat for some time. Do not drink or eat anything for at least half an hour after. Buttermilk can be used as an alternative.
16. Vitamin C
Vitamin C helps to prevent the viruses, stress, and bacteria and promotes overall health. Take 1000mg of vitamin C 3 times a day.
17. Sun Flower Oil
When your strep throat is severe and experience loss of voice consume one teaspoon of sunflower oil daily to prevent the infection.
Have a shower swapping between hot and cold 2-3 times during the shower. Do this regularly.
This herb kills the bacteria and its effects. It is recommended to take this in the form of herbal tincture (combination of Echinacea and hydrastis) or single.
Probiotics are essential to those who suffer with strep throat as they contain antibiotics and good bacteria for proper functioning of your immune system. Eat food that contains probiotics.
21. Lymphatic Massage
This is a type of massage which has to be applied to all over the body by covering certain areas, such as behind your ear, down your neck, towards your chest and heart, and your back for eliminating and liquefaction of mucous. Use gentle and circular motions at least once a day before going to bed.
22. Being in Hydrated
To get rid of strep throat, you have to be hydrated by drinking more fluids and water, at least 6 – 8 oz per day.
Use of humidifier to make the air moist, making it easier on your throat.
24. Diet Plan
Changes in your diet can make huge changes to your body and lifestyle.
- Avoid sugar and dairy products which increase the bacteria in your body.
- Drink alkaline broths. Add chopped vegetables like carrots, celery, zucchini and potatoes to water. Simmer for 20 minutes without adding salt. Remove the vegetables and drink as a part of diet.
- Drink more fluids to help your kidneys in eliminating the toxins.
- Eat food which doesn’t irritate throat while swallowing and eating.
- Include pudding, jello, toast, soups, bread and baby food in your diet.
Tips to Reduce Strep Throat:
- Wash your hands frequently with anti biotic soap or hand sanitizer and hot water after you cough or have a cold.
- Use a tissue instead of handkerchiefs as it is easy to throw away.
- Replace your tooth brush after you have been ill.
- Use saline nasal sprays which help to decongest the airways clogged with mucus.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol as it irritates throat.
- Stay away from strong and persistent odor to prevent inflammation of the respiratory system’s soft membrane and tissues.
- Do not drink very hot and cold beverages, as they increase throat irritation and pain.
- Avoid spicy, oily and irritant food which causes your throat to get inflamed.
- Note down things which causes you infection so this will not bother you again.
- Suck lozenges or spray an OTC throat spray to your throat, but not too often.
- Take rest for at least 6-8 hours to strengthen your immune system to fight against bacteria.
- Go for rapid strep test or throat culture to find the severity of the illness. Doctor prescribes antibiotics to reduce it.
Precautions to Prevent the Spread of Strep Throat:
Follow these precautions to stop the spread of strep throat.
- Wash your hands before and after eating.
- Instruct your children and other family member to have a habit of covering their mouth while coughing and sneezing.
- Always maintain a good hygiene.
- Wash your dishes and cloths in hot water so that the infection can’t be spread.
- Sleep for at least 8 hours a day.
- Eat healthy and balanced diet to get vitamins, minerals and proteins.
- Avoid close contact with the infected person, or if you have it.
The above mentioned remedies are some of the valuable and most effective home remedies for strep throat. Consult the doctor if the problem has been not cured even after following these remedies.
Have you tried any of these home remedies for strep throat? Which ones worked best for you? Looking for home remedies to cure sore throat? Share your experience with us!