A sore throat is very painful! It is caused by inflammation of the mucous membrane lining the pharynx by bacterial or viral infection.
How Lemon Works to Cure a Sore Throat:
- Lemon contains (citrus acid) which helps to break up the mucus that causes sore throat and also helps to soothe your throat from the pain and inflammation.
- Lemon is rich in vitamin C and anti-oxidants which helps to boost your immune system.
- Lemon is a natural antiseptic which helps to kill the bacteria or viruses in the throat.
- Lemons are rich in several essential vitamins and nutrients.
- Lemon juice increases salivation and helps to moisten or lubricate an irritated throat.
How to use Lemon to Treat a Sore Throat
Follow these simple recipes to get rid of a sore throat:
1. Lemon Juice
- Juice half a lemon and dilute in a small amount of water.
- Mix it well and use this liquid to gargle.
- Alternatively you can gargle with straight lemon juice.
2. Lemon and Honey Hot Toddy
- Add one tablespoon of honey to a large mug.
- Pour hot water and a teaspoon of lemon juice into the mug and stir well.
- Place in a microwave and heat until it is hot.
- Add a slice of lemon and enjoy.
- Repeat regularly.
3. Lemon Juice and Honey
- Mix a teaspoon of honey, half lemon juice in a cup of warm water.
- Stir it well and drink slowly.
- Follow this process regularly.
- You could also take half a lemon, sprinkle salt and pepper and lick it slowly.
4. Lemon, Ginger and Honey
- Put a tablespoon of grated ginger in a cup of boiling water.
- Steep for 3 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon each of freshly squeezed lemon juice and honey and stir well.
- Strain the tea and drink regularly.
5. Hot Lemon and Honey
- Skewer half a lemon over a flame.
- Roast until the peel turns golden brown and let it cool slightly.
- Juice it and mix with some honey.
- Drink regularly.
6. Lemon and Salt Water Gargle
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon and add a teaspoon of salt.
- Stir it well in a cup of warm water.
- Gargle it three times a day for at least one minute.
7. Honey and Lemon Tea
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey and lemon juice to a cup of warm water and stir well.
- Sip it slowly but make sure that the tea is not too hot.
- Drink regularly.
It’s recommended that you drink fresh lemon water every day, first thing with an empty stomach, as this will help to relieve a sore throat and many other health problems.
Do you know any other benefits of lemon or home remedies for sore throat? If so, please share them with us!