Skin tags are benign growths that commonly occur on the neck, face, eyelids, thighs, under the breasts and underarms. They are medically acknowledged as acrochordon. They can grow at any time, regardless of the age but can increase as you get older. In some people, it grows in clusters.
Usually, they are non-cancerous and don’t pose any health risks. They appear due to the friction of skin against skin or skin against clothing. Hereditary, diabetes, and obesity are some of other reasons for the development of skin tags.
As they are harmless and painless you can leave them if they are not causing any discomfort. If they are causing discomfort or aesthetically embarrassing then there are many treatments you can undergo to eliminate them.A dermatologist can suggest freezing, biopsy, excision, ligation and cryosurgery to eliminate them. All these methods can be painful and costly.
But thankfully you have remedies that can be used to treat skin tags at the comfort of home. Wondering what they can be?
I know it is surprising and awkward to listen that a duct tape can remove skin tags. But trust me it has been used by many people and they have found success in using it.
Can We Remove Skin Tags Using a Duct Tape?
Duct tape for skin tags is an old folk remedy that has been used since World War2. Many people have found success using it and strongly recommend it.
When the duct tape is attached to the skin tag, it cuts off the blood and oxygen supply to it. This suffocates the skin tag causing it to shrink, turn into black and fall off.
Well, just like other natural remedies, it does take some time to remove the skin tags.
How to Remove Skin Tags Using Duct Tape?
Removing skin tags with duct tape is a very simple process. All you need for this process is a pair of scissors and duct tape roll.
Step-by-Step Guide for Removing Skin Tags:
- First start by cleaning the skin tags with soap and water.
- Using scissors slice the duct tape into small squares or circles.
- Make sure the duct tape is small enough to cover the skin tag and 1/4 inch of the surrounding area.
- Place the duct tape on the skin tag and ensure no air can get in.
- Leave it until the tape loosens. Usually, it loosens in 1 or 2 days.
- Slowly remove the duct tape and check if the skin tag is attached to it. Make sure to do this very slowly as harshness can lead to bleeding and skin infections.
- If the skin tag is not attached, clean the area, pat dry and reapply another piece of duct tape.
- Repeat the process until the skin tag comes off.
- When the skin tag comes off, apply any antibiotic cream as the area may be sore for 2 days.
For more effective results, you can apply any essential oil on the skin tag before applying the duct tape. Oils you can try are castor oil, tea tree oil or oregano oil.
Points to Remember While Using Duct Tape for Skin Tags
- Wait until the duct tape loosens by itself. Don’t attempt to remove the duct tape while it is still strongly attached to the skin as it can lead to irritation, pain and even bleeding sometimes.
- If the skin tag doesn’t come out when the duct tape is removed, simply replace another duct tape.
- Don’t forget to apply antibiotic cream when the skin tag comes off. As the skin will be sore, the irritants and dirt present in the atmosphere can lead to skin infections. If you don’t have antibiotic cream, just apply a duct tape for another day or two.
- Sometimes, the sore may be red but don’t worry it will fade away in few days.
- Due to the chemicals present in the duct tape, sometimes you may develop a rash. This doesn’t happen mostly but there is a potential risk.
- Depending on the location, the duct tape may stretch or move a lot this may lead to pinching and aggravation of skin tag.
- Make sure to cut the duct tape big enough to cover the skin tags and 1/4 inch of the surrounding area as it hinders the skin’s ability to breathe.
- Don’t use duct tape method for skin tags on eyelids and anus.
- Wash the area of skin tag before applying the duct tape.
How Long Does it Take to Remove Skin Tags with Duct Tape?
The time frame is different from one person to another. Some people have reported that it took a few days and for some, it took for few weeks. So it is better to be patient and try it regularly until the skin tag comes off.
Is it Safe to Use Duct Tape for Removing Skin Tags?
It is safe to use duct tape for skin tags but if you are allergic to the adhesive then it may lead to rashes or irritation. It is better to patch test on your arm before trying the treatment. If you have an infection, rash or sensitive skin then it is better to avoid this method.
Will Skin Tag Reoccur Once It Falls Off?
It is unlikely in most of the cases. Once the skin tag comes off, apply some antibiotic or else a skin tag may develop. If the skin tag is not properly removed or if the skin tag base is still present then a skin tag may redevelop in the same place. If you are pregnant, you may develop a skin tag in the same place or near to it.
Tips and Precautions for Skin Tags:
- Diabetes and obesity are some of the reasons for skin tag development so monitor your sugar or weight levels.
- Eat nutritional food to strengthen your immune system.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins.
- If home remedies are not working for you, then consult a dermatologist to check out alternative treatments.
- Don’t attempt to perform surgical methods at home. It can lead to skin infections and bleeding.
- Avoid scratching, rubbing and shaving skin tags.
Did you find this article helpful? Are you going to try duct tape for skin tag removal? Feel free to share your experience and suggestions in the comments section below.