Nail fungus, medically known as onychomycosis is found in 10% of the adults in western countries. It likely increases to 20% in the case of people aged above 60. Be it a toenail fungus or fingernail fungus, it’s very unpleasant to deal with them.
When moisture gets trapped in a warm and dark place, the fungus thrives in this place developing a toenail fungus. When mold or yeast thrives in the nail of your fingers then it is referred as fingernail fungus.
Toenail fungus is more common than fingernail fungus as your toes are generally confined to the shoes where they are in a warm and moist environment for a longer period of time.
People with diabetes, nail injury, skin injury, weak immune system and athletes are more prone to develop a nail fungus.
If left untreated, nail fungus can lead to cracking, splitting and loss of the nail. Nail fungus can be treated at home inexpensively.
Apple cider vinegar and baking soda are some of the cost-effective and safe methods to treat onychomycosis.
Well, here is we will discuss on baking soda for nail fungus in detail.
Note: To help this article read a little faster, we use the abbreviation (BS) for Baking Soda throughout the article.
Is Baking Soda Good for Toenail Fungus?
Baking soda contains fungistatic properties which prevent the growth and spreading of fungus. Application of baking soda creates an alkaline environment around the nails. This discourages the fungus buildup. It also helps to balance the pH level of the skin.
How to Use Baking Soda for Toenail Fungus
Just like its properties, baking soda can be used in many ways to cure onychomycosis. We have listed them below.
1) Baking Soda
The combination of baking soda and makes results an alkaline solution. When applied on the fungus, it makes the environment less vulnerable for infection to grow and spread.
Process 1 – Baking Soda Paste for Toenail Fungus:
- Combine 2 parts BS and 1 part water.
- Mix the two ingredients well to form a thick paste.
- First, clean the affected area with water and pat dry.
- Using cotton or makeup brush, apply the mixture on the entire affected nail.
- Leave it on for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water and pat dry.
- Repeat the application 2 times per day until the symptoms are completely removed.
Process 2 – Baking Soda with Water Soak:
- Take enough amounts of water for a soak.
- Add few tablespoons of BS into it.
- Soak the nails or affected area for 15 minutes.
- Remove and rinse off the area with water.
- Pat the area dry with paper towels.
- Repeat twice daily.
2) Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar
In this process, baking soda creates an alkaline environment to prevent the infection while acidic properties of apple cider vinegar help to kill off the fungus without altering the pH level of the skin.
- Add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar to enough amounts of water for soaking.
- Soak your toenails or fingernails in the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Remove and pat them dry.
- Now add several tablespoons of BS into enough water.
- Mix well and soak them again for 15 minutes.
- Pat the feet or fingers dry with paper towels.
- Repeat the process 2 times daily.
3) Baking Soda with Borax Powder or Boric Acid
Boric acid or borax powder has fungicidal properties which kill off the onychomycosis and athletes foot, so using baking soda for foot fungus also works. Beware that borax powder is banned in some countries, so you will have to check if the product is available before trying the treatment.
- Mix enough amounts of BS, borax powder, and water.
- Combine the ingredients well to make a thick paste.
- Simply the affected finger and gently rub the mixture on them.
- After few minutes, rinse off with water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process 2 times a day for quick results.
4) Baking Soda with Hydrogen Peroxide
This process is known to prevent spreading and will kill off the infection effectively without pain.
- Combine 1/2 cup of BS, 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 cup of Epsom salt, 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 4 cups of warm water.
- Soak the toenails or fingernails in this mixture for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with water and pat the nails dry.
- Repeat the soaking 2 times daily.
5) Baking Soda and Vinegar for Toenail Fungus
The acidic properties of white vinegar prevent the infection from spreading.
- To enough amounts of water, add 1/2 cup of BS and 1/4 cup of white vinegar.
- Soak your nails for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with water and pat dry.
6) Baking Soda with Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains Terpinen – 4 – ol (anti-microbial disinfectant) and antifungal properties. Tea tree oil also restores the health and shine of the nails.
- Combine 2 teaspoons each of BS and arrowroot powder, 3 drops each of tea tree oil, sage oil and basil oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas.
- Cover with socks or hand gloves.
- Leave them on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off the mixture with cool water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process daily.
7) Baking Soda with Lemon Juice
These two ingredients create an alkaline environment which prevents the infection from spreading.
- Combine BS with enough amounts of lemon juice to make a thick paste.
- Apply the mixture to the nails.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes, rinse off with water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process 2 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can add this paste to enough amounts of water to soak for 20 minutes. Rinse off and pat dry.
8) Drinking Baking Soda
Drinking BS solution improves the immune system which discourages the fungal growth.
- Add 1 teaspoon of BS to a glass of water and drink it.
- Repeat 2 times a day.
- You can add maple syrup into the solution for added benefits and taste.
Tidbits to Remember When Using Baking Soda for Toenail Fungus
- After following these remedies, sometimes the toenail may become loose and gradually fall off. Don’t worry as a new nail will grow in its place.
- If you are having a manicure at a nail salon, make sure to ask the staff if the tools are disinfected. Tools like nail clippers, emery boards can spread fungal infections from person to person if they are not properly sanitized.
- Ad fungus thrives in dark and moist environments, shoes are the breeding grounds for them. BS can help to fight onychomycosis, moist environment and freshen up your footwear. You can achieve this by sprinkling little BS in your shoes and socks. This helps to keep the feet dry and prevents fungus from attacking the nails.
- Trim your infected nail regularly.
- It is very important to clean your feet after coming back from public places like locker rooms, showers, spas and swimming pools.
- Use flip flops or sandals instead of shoes if you can.
- Apply antifungal powder on the affected area before wearing socks.
- Avoid barefoot walking in moist and damp places.
- Never share your shoes or socks if a person is you have onychomycosis.
- Avoid wearing tight footwear.
- Avoid using nail polishes and artificial fingers.
Which Baking Soda for Toenail Fungus Treatment Will You Try?
Did you find this article helpful? Do you have any other remedy that works better than the above mentioned? Share them with us in the comments section below.