Pimples are often painful skin inflammations caused by the accumulation of sebum underneath blocked skin pores. They can also be caused due to lack of proper hygiene, an unhealthy diet, hormonal imbalances, lifestyle habits and stress.
Pimples can affect a wide range of people, however there are many natural homemade remedies that you can use to help with this problem, the use of apple cider vinegar being one of the most effective. The vinegar is formed when the sugar compounds undergo chemical change during the process of fermentation in apple juice.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar good for treating Pimples?
Here is why the vinegar is especially effective:
- Its alpha-hydroxy acid rejuvenates the skin by exfoliating the dead skin cells.
- The processing of the apple cider vinegar gives off malic acid which is characterized by its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal ad anti-viral properties.
- It restores the pH level of the skin by balancing the acid – alkaline levels to regulate the oil production of sebum and also dissolves the dead skin cells.
- It has anti – septic and anti – bacterial properties that removes all the impurities, bacteria, excess oil, dirt and make – up.
- It acts as natural toner that absorbs the excess oil.
- Its anti – inflammatory properties will help to reduce the redness, swelling and pain.
- It works as an astringent that dries out the pimples and reduces swelling and discomfort.
- It lowers cholesterol, triglycerides and glycated hemoglobin which help to improve the glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity.
- It creates a protective layer on the skin and helps in preventing the skin from getting too dry, it also unclogs the pores and helps the skin to breathe properly.
- It contains high levels of beta – carotene that counteracts the damage caused by free radicals.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar To Get Rid of Pimples:
1. Internal Application
Ingesting apple cider vinegar into the body can help to remove the toxins and other impurities in the bloodstream.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of organic, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar in a 1 glass of water and drink it.
- Or use vinegar as a salad dressing by mixing with olive oil.
- Regular intake of this apple vinegar will be especially effective.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar with Water
- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 3 teaspoons of water.
- Stir it well and apply on the affected skin using a cotton ball.
- Leave for 20 minutes to dry.
- Wash off and dry before applying some oil free moisturizer.
- Repeat regularly.
- Note: You can also add green tea, aloe vera gel or witch hazel in this mixture.
- Or apply pure, organic apple vinegar on pimples with a cotton ball and let it sit for 3 – 5 minutes before washing off. But it causes stinging or burning sensation if you have sensitive skin.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda
Baking soda acts as exfoliator and vinegar kills the bacteria and balances the pH levels of the skin.
- Mix a small amount of baking soda, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water in a small bowl.
- Apply on the affected skin.
- Leave for 15 – 20 minutes before washing off with cold water.
- Pat the skin dry and repeat the same process regularly.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar with Garlic
- Crush a few garlic cloves to extract its juice.
- Add equal quantity of cider vinegar and stir well.
- Apply on the affected skin with a cotton ball.
- Wait for about 10 – 15 minutes and rinse it with lukewarm water.
- Re-apply this mixture regularly.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar for Back Pimples
- Mix 1 part of apple cider vinegar with 2 parts of water.
- Pour into an empty spray bottle.
- Spray this mixture on your back acne and leave for at least 15 – 20 minutes to dry.
- Wash off with water.
- You could also apply with a cotton ball.
- Repeat the same process regularly.
- Note: Store apple vinegar spray bottle in refrigerator to get cooling effect.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar with Onion Juice
- Mix equal quantities of apple cider vinegar with fresh onion juice from the fridge.
- Apply on the affected skin using a cotton ball.
- Leave to dry then wash off with lukewarm water followed by cold water.
- Apply this mixture regularly to get rid of pimples.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar Soak
- Wash your face and neck with mild face wash and dry the skin.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of pure and organic apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of warm water.
- Use a cotton ball to apply on the affected skin and leave to dry.
- Repeat the process several times a day on a daily basis.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar Cocktail
- Mix 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar with the juice of one fresh lemon and one teaspoon of honey.
- Add 12 oz of water and drink throughout the day regularly.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar with Aloe Vera
- Mix organic and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, water and aloe vera gel into a paste.
- Apply on the affected skin with a cotton ball.
- Massage it gently in a circular motion.
- Leave for 15 – 20 minutes and then rinse with water and pat dry.
- Apply oil free moisturiser.
- You can also use coconut oil, jojoba oil or witch hazel instead of aloe vera gel.
- Repeat the process regularly.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar for Scalp Pimples
- Pimples on the scalp are usually caused by poor scalp hygiene.
- Mix equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and water and use this to rinse your hair.
- Follow this process regularly.
Tips and Precautions:
Here are few tips and precautions to be followed while using this apple cider vinegar for treating pimples.
- Always use pure, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar.
- Drink through a straw to prevent acidic damage to the teeth.
- Taking pills or supplements will not be anywhere near as effective.
- Dilute with water if you have sensitive skin.
- Do a patch test first to prevent any irritation.
- Apple vinegar increases the skin’s sensitivity to sun rays. So be sure to apply sunscreen lotion.
- Do not use around the eye area as it causes damage to the eyes. Wash off if any gets in the eyes.
- Wash off after five minutes if you are a first time user.
- Do not apply concentrated apple cider vinegar on the face. The mixture should be 50% diluted.
- Care should be taken while ingesting apple cider vinegar. Concentrated apple cider vinegar proves most deleterious for the body.
Do you know any other apple cider vinegar remedies? Do not forget to share with us.