Arthritis is a chronic inflammation of the joints and an auto-immune problem that can restrict you from certain activities like walking or even standing. It affects the joints between bones, such as the fingers or hands, elbows, hips jaw, knees, etc. Some symptoms can include pain, stiffness, redness, swelling, and reduced range of motion.
Two of the most common types of arthritis are Osteoarthritis (wear and tear of weight bearing joints) and Rheumatoid arthritis (caused by antibiotic attacks on the synovial lining of joints). Arthritis causes the joints to stiffen due to the drying of liquid in joints.
Although there is no complete cure, you can control the pain with the help of some over the counter medications and with natural home remedies. Why bother wasting time and money on those when you can treat and prevent with aloe vera?
Is Aloe Vera good for Arthritis?
- Aloe vera contains salicylate, bradykinin and other natural steroids which reduces the inflammation.
- It has 12 essential vitamins like A, B (B1, B2, B3, and B6), C and E that makes this gel act as anti-inflammatory and antioxidants to absorb the toxins in the body.
- It relieves the pressure from the inflamed joints and knees.
- Aloe vera contains the same natural compound that found in cartilage called glucosamine that helps for reducing arthritis pain and stiffness.
- It has 20 minerals such as manganese, calcium, iron, and zinc that promote the reaction of enzymes in the joints to heal quickly.
- It contains polysaccharides that stimulate fibroblasts which has the ability to speed up the growth of new cells and also repairs the damaged tissue.
- It improves protein absorption and colonic activities, balances acid levels and lowers bowel putrefaction which in turn eliminates the foreign invaders that result in autoimmune responses to prevent chronic joints inflammation.
- The immunomodulartory property and mannose-6-phosphate content of aloe vera helps to inhibit the inflammation and promotes quick healing of the tissues.
- It has anthraquinones that help for the relief of joint and knee pain.
How to use Aloe Vera for Arthritis:
1. Aloe Vera Gel
- Extract aloe vera gel freshly from the aloe plant and apply this directly on the joints.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and leave it on for another few minutes.
- Repeat 3 times a day to reduce the pain.
- Or you can consume pure aloe vera gel for three times a day, 30 minutes before breakfast and lunch and before going to bed.
- Make sure to start with small quantity and then increase gradually up to 2 tablespoons.
- Or you can also take aloe vera capsules with water for 2 to 3 times a day.
2. Aloe Vera Juice
- Drink 2 to 3 ounces of organic aloe vera juice and consume once daily.
- Observe clearly to see how you’re reacting to this juice.
- Increase the frequency of the juice 3 times a day.
- You can add 1 teaspoon of honey if it tastes bitter.
- Or add aloe vera juice to any other fruit or vegetable juice.
3. Aloe Vera Juice with Apple Cider Vinegar and Ginger
- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and ginger to 2 to 3 ounces of aloe vera juice.
- Stir it well and consume regularly.
4. Aloe Vera for Psoriatic Arthritis
Psoriatic arthritis is the inflammation of joints and connective tissue. It affects the joints of the fingers and toes along with hips, knees and spine.
- Wash the affected area with clean water.
- Mix freshly extracted aloe vera gel with your moisturizer or body lotion.
- Apply and massage gently for few minutes and leave on for few hours to overnight.
- Repeat regularly.
- Or you can use creams or lotions that contain aloe vera as their main ingredient.
5. Aloe Vera with Orange Peel and Honey
- Cut aloe vera into cubes and peel of the outer skin.
- Blend with orange peel and mix in 1 cup of honey and 1 tablespoon of red clay.
- Apply this paste on the knees and wrap it with a bandage at night.
- Allow it to dry for 30 to 40 minutes and then rinse with cool water.
- Follow this process regularly.
6. Aloe Vera with Peppermint Oil
Peppermint has menthol that quickly penetrates into the skin and gives a cooling and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Blend 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and 8 to 10 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Apply on the sore muscles and massage gently for a few minutes.
- Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after application.
- Repeat the same regularly.
7. Aloe Vera with Turmeric
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties along with curcumin that helps to give relief from arthritis.
- Extract fresh aloe vera gel from leaf, blend it and warm it slightly.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and stir it well.
- Apply on the inflamed joints and wrap a bandage around it to maintain heat.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times daily.
8. Aloe Vera with Grape Seed Oil and Jojoba Oil
Grape seed oil contains natural bioflavonoids and antioxidants that reduce the inflammation and gives relief from the pain.
- Mix a few drops of grape seed oil, jojoba oil, eucalyptus oil in 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Apply on the affected joints.
- Massage it gently for 5 minutes and leave for another few minutes.
- Repeat regularly.
9. Aloe Vera with Eucalyptus
Eucalyptus oil stimulates the blood circulation near the skin’s surface where there is a joint.
- Mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil in 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Apply on the affected joints.
- Massage it gently for 5 minutes and leave it on for another few minutes.
- Rinse with water and apply regularly.
10. Aloe Vera Oil
- Apply pure aloe vera oil on the swollen joints.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and then leave alone.
- Repeat the oil application regularly.
- Note: You can add a teaspoon of coconut oil or olive oil.
11. Aloe Vera Pulp with Wild Pomegranate and Mango Ginger
- Blend 2 teaspoon each mango, ginger and wild pomegranate.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of aloe vera pulp and a little hot water.
- Rub petroleum jelly or olive oil on the affected area.
- Then spread paste as a thick coat and wrap it with a piece of gauze or cotton.
- Leave it on overnight and wash it off in the next morning with lukewarm water.
- Continue doing this process regularly.
12. Aloe Vera Juices / Smoothies
Cherries have amazing arthritis healing properties.
- Extract aloe vera gel from the leaf and remove the stones from 1 handful of cherries.
- Peel the 2 medium oranges.
- Blend them to make a juice.
- Drink this juice to get relief from arthritis.
- Blend 2 apples, 1 pear, 1/2 teaspoon of aloe vera gel and handful of cherries in a blender.
- Drink regularly.
- Blend 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 1 handful of strawberries, 2 handfuls of raspberries and 3 handfuls of cherries.
- Add a tablespoon of honey and drink regularly.
Tips and Precautions:
Follow these tips and precautions while using aloe vera to get safe and quick relief.
- Always use pure high-quality aloe vera.
- Make sure to do a patch test first before using these methods.
- Eat 2 aloe vera cubes daily (preferably on an empty stomach).
- Aloe Vera works as a laxative when taken orally. It can absorb any medication you are taking and may cause abdominal pain, stomach upset, etc.
- Consult your doctor if you have diabetes or taking any blood thinning medications as it reduces the blood sugar levels and also inhibits the ability of blood to clot.
- Intake of aloe vera is not suggested for children, pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- You can also use aloe vera containing pain relief creams like Mobisyl maximum strength arthritis pain relief crème, Miracle rub pain relieving cream with aloe, Walgreens aloe vera pain relieving gel, Forever freedom aloe vera, Aloe MSM gel, Aloe heat lotion, etc.
- You can also take aloe vera supplements like aloe berry nectar.
While following these methods, follow an anti-arthritis diet, exercise daily for 30 minutes, take warm baths or showers, lose weight or maintaining proper weight, quit smoking etc.
Did you try any of these remedies? Do not forget to share your experience with us!